Known locally as The Riviera Airport it has a century of Italian aviation. Established in 1922 and named after the Italian fighter pilot “Clemente Panero”, the runway at Villanova d’Albenga had various uses. It is the home of Piaggio Aerospace, the remaining manufacturer in Italy.
The airport handles general and business aviation. The 1.5 km long runway can take aircraft up to 60 tonnes and offers an alternative to nearby airports such as Monte-Carlo.
There are sandy beaches at nearby Alassio and the airport is located where the mountain rivers form a delta and flow into the Mediterranean Sea, crossing the Via Aurelia, the oldest European highway.
Mediaeval castles overlook the mountain ridges and fertile valleys are surrounded by Baroque church steeples. The villas and parks bear witness to the English and Italian aristocracy of the 19th century.